Activities (April 2020 onwards)
INYAS engages actively in scientific outreach and trainings. During the pandemic, INYAS has continued progressing on its vision through internet, as a result of which several webinars, lectures, workshops were and are being continuously organised. The details of the previous activities are archived in newsletters and annual reports, available under publications on this website.
1. Webinar series:’
Vigyan Setu Webinar Series. Details can be found here.
You can also catch up on the previous webinars on Youtube INYAS channel.
2. Assessment of Covid-19 impact on PhD students: A survey by INYAS
Getting a PhD is never easy, but it’s fair to say that COVID-19 has made it more difficult. The already overworked, overextended PhD student has to face with an uncertain future in the new normal world. In order to know the impact of this pandemic on various aspects of life of PhD student, a survey is being conducted pan India with INYAS initiative. Participate and make your voice and issues heard. It will take only 10 minutes to fill the survey and provide your feedback.
Last date to participate in this survey was October 20, 2020.
Survey Link: https://forms.gle/oCXTpXDfWgfn6ndX9.
- INYAS jointly with DST, Rajasthan organised a webinar series for students pursuing basic sciences at PG level from 7th April 2020 to 19th April 2020.
- 1st lecture by Dr. V. Ramanathan, Dept. of Chemistry, IIT BHU on Opportunities for Basic Science Students at IITs and other institutes
- 2nd lecture by Dr. Pooja from CSIR CSIO, Chandigarh on Nanotechnology
- 3rd lecture by Dr. Veerendra Sharma from BARC on Basic Concepts of Neutron Scattering
- 4th lecture by Dr Pankaj from IUAC, New Delhi Basics of Ion accelerator and opportunities UGC-MHRD institutes
- 5th lecture by Dr. Rajendra S. Dhaka, IIT Delhi on Superconductivity: Background, basics, and Applications
- 6th lecture by Dr. Mukesh Kumar, IIT, Ropar on Reneawble and Clean Energy: Opportunities and Challenges
- 7th lecture by Dr. Jai Prakash, Aligarh Muslim University about Liquid Crystal Materials
- 8th lecture by Dr. Bhabha Tosh Das from THISTI about Human Microbiome
- 9th lecture by Dr. Rajnish Chaturvedi on Trends in Environment and Health; prospects of research CSIR
- 10th lecture by Dr. Sriparna Chaterjee on Nature Inspired nanotechnology and Career opportunities in CSIR institutes
- 11th lecture by Dr. Ramanathan again on Group Theory
- 12th lecture by Dr. Sugahanda Maheshwary from IISER, Mohali on Computational Mathematics
- Let’s Talk Science: What, why and How? – A CSIR “Science Webinar Series” for school students/teachers in collaboration with INYAS under the umbrella of JIGYASA was led by Dr. Pooja Devi Sharma. Talk were presented by INYAS member, Dr. Mahak Sharma, Associate Professor, IISER, Mohali on “Understanding Covid-19 & Remedial Measures for Protection” on 20th April 2020.
and “Career opportunities in Science” by Dr. V. Ramanathan from IIT BHU on 22nd April 2020 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EXo9pSMXPg&feature=youtu.be
- Dr. Muthamilarasan from University of Hyderabad delivered a talk on “Publishing in Science: Strategies & Tactics” at World Bank-funded National Agricultural Higher Education Project’s ‘Online Training Program on e-Resources of Libraries & Publication Ethics’ organized by Mahatma Phule Krishi Vidyapeeth, Maharashtra on April 22, 2020. The lecture was attended by more than 100 students and faculties from different Universities around the Nation.
- Igniting Through Science, INYAS Webinar Series by was organised by two INYAS members Dr. Pankaj Kumar from IUAC, New Delhi and DR. Gitanjali Yadav from NIPGR, New Delhi in collaboration with Institute of Institute of Home Economics (IHE), University of Delhi from 28th April to 3rd May. Various talked by INYAS members included, “Online Teaching Platforms and Security concerns” by Dr. Felix Bast, CU Punjab, “Structural details of Covid 19 virus and Vaccine development” Dr. Durba Sengupta, CSIR-National Chemical Laboratory, Pune; on “Immune response against viruses” at by Dr. Riffat John, University of Kashmir, Srinagar; “Clinical Management, prevention and awareness of COVID19” by Dr. Paramdeep Singh, associate professor from Radiology, Hospital of Baba Farid University of Health Sciences and ‘career opportunities for biological science students” by Dr. Gitanjali Yadav from NIPGR.
- Gitanjali Yadav initiated a series of short talks in Computational Biology under theme “Protocols from Home” in May 2020. The idea was to help biology students and researchers ameliorate the interruption of bench research caused by COVID-19 physical distancing requirements, while offering the added benefit of gaining substantial insights, as well as a handy practical skill, while working from home.
- Dr. Muthamilarasan organised interactive session and Dr. V. Ramanathan joined as one of the resources persons in an online interaction on ‘Higher studies in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics” on May 18th, 2020.
- INYAS member Dr. Rohit K. Sharma participated in lecture series – Lightening the Lockdown – organised by Chemical Society GNDU and delivered a talk about “Peptide nanoconjugates: Chemistry at the interface of Biology” on 22nd May 2020.
- Science City, Department of Higher Education, Government of Tamil Nadu in collaboration with INYAS through our member, Dr. Muthamilarasan (UoH, Hyderabad) organized a series of programs for the students, teachers and educationalists of the State. It was a round table on ‘COVID-19 Pandemic: Impact and Strategies for Education Sector’, and the panellists included INYAS members, Dr. Aravind Kumar Rengan (IIT-H, Hyderabad) and Dr. Sreenivas Chavali (IISER, Tirupati).
- A Lecture Workshop series (31st May to 5th June) was organized in connection with UN World Environment Day jointly by INYAS and the Central University of Punjab, Bathinda by our member Dr. Felix Bast with this year’s theme of World Environment Day as “Celebrate Biodiversity”. The series featured immersive interactive talks by experts across all domains of biodiversity. The founding Chair, Dr. Anindita Bhadra also spoke at during the event. First session of INYAS-CUPB workshop tangled bank was by Dr. Deepa Agashe, NCBS Bangalore.
- Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma, Chair, INYAS served as a panelist along with Prof. Partha Pritam Majumder, President, Indian Academy of Sciences for a panel discussion on Research and Opportunities in Basic Sciences as a part of two days Rajasthan STRIDE virtual conclave organized by DST Rajasthan on 30-31st March 2020.
- INYAS and Central University Punjab, Bhatinda (CUPB) organized Blue Planet series in connection with World Ocean’s Day. One of our INYAS members Kunal Chakraborty spoke at the event from 7th to 9th June 2020.
- ZeroWaste- A workshop towards sustainability was coordinated by INYAS, CUPB and DAV College, Bhatinda through its member Felix Bast from 16-18th June. “Compost Queen” Vani Murthy (a humble homemaker from Bengaluru without any science degree) was chief guest in INYAS #ZeroWaste series. Dr. Ranjit Kumar from Dayalbagh Educational Institute spoke about Dayalbag Nagar Panchayat having ZeroWaste program up and running for many years now. INYAS member Dr. Nikhil Dhawan (IIT Roorkee) and Dr. Riffat John (University of Kashmir, Srinagar) also spoke during the workshop.
- Dr. Chandra Sharma, Chair INYAS, was one of the panelists speaking about opportunities in Digitization for Science, Technology and Education post COVID on 26 June, in webinar 10th ICT Odisha: Digitization Opportunities.
- INYAS was a proud partner for GYA conference and theme for this year was “Heal the Earth: Sustainable Development Goals in a Changing World: E-Conference: held on 25 June – 10 July, 2020. Keynote address was delivered by Prof. Vijay K Raghavan, Principal Scientific Advisor to GOI followed by keynote talk of Dr. Soumya Swaminathan, Deputy Director General of Programmes, World Health Organization (WHO).
- “Empowering Women in Science – Unleashing Latent Talent” an International Webinar was organized by Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai, India in association with INYAS and GYA from July 9-11, 2020. Speakers included Padma Vibhushan Prof. M.M. Sharma, Prof. Chandrima Shaha (President, INSA), Ms. Kiran Mazumdar Shaw (Biocon Ltd.), Prof. A B Pandit (VC, ICT Mumbai), Dr. Shekhar Mande.
- Continuous Competitive Exam in Physics Test Series (ConCEPTS) for M.Sc. students is jointly organised by Department of Physics, University of Mumbai in collaboration with Indian National Young Academy of Science (INYAS) during 20-25 July 2020. Competitive exams like NET, SET, GATE, JEST etc. are stepping stones for M.Sc. students to define their career path in research or teaching positions.
- INYAS conducted mid year meeting in ‘online’ format for two days from August 1-2. It comprised of technical sessions as well as a general session exclusively scheduled for INYAS members. Another highlight of this mid-year meeting was a special session with National Young Academies of Bangladesh and Thailand.
- INYAS members have conducted a hugely successful online internship program with DST Rajasthan under the KARYA “Knowledge Augmentation through Research in Young Aspirants”, project for mentoring 75 remote area Undergraduates and Postgraduates from State Govt. Universities and Colleges, students who could not undergo a regular summer training due to the Covid 19 pandemic and the idea of online mentoring came up as an experimental alternative.
A short movie to Showcase INYAS-KARYA Internships conducted at NIPGR under the supevision of INYAS member Dr. Gitanjali Yadav. This movie is designed and edited entirely by our Interns on the Program! The entire effort is to enhance awareness of Open Knowledge from Literature for all. The INYAS-KARYA remote Internship Program “OpenVIris” is now a leading showcase for the world of Open Science!
- International Poster Presentation Competition (IPPC2020) was organized by National Young Academy of Bangladesh (NYAB) in association with INYAS, Thai Young Scientists Academy and Sri Lankan Academy of Young Scientists. Among 243 submitted posters, the judges’ panel made a shortlist of the 49 competitors based on the quality of research as well as the poster for Round 2 while 100 posters are selected for certificates.
- Hyderabad chapter organised webinars along with INSA chapter on ‘Role of Biology and Chemistry in mitigating COVID 19” in which Dr. Pawan Malhotra, ICGEB, New Delhi and Dr. Ch. Raji Reddy, CSIR-IICT spoke on 27th Aug 2020.
- INYAS member Dr. Upasana RayBanerjee publishes in the area of COVID research. She is part of leading group working on various aspects of Covid-19.
- Research Scholars’ Skill Development Workshop will be organized by Indian National Young Academy of Science (INYAS) during 19-20 Sept 2020.
- Dr. V. Ramanathan, Asst. Professor, Dept. of Chemistry, IIT-BHU and Former Core Committee Member, INYAS spoke in a webinar on 18th September on Eminent Scientists of India. This webinar was being organized by INYAS Chandigarh local chapter.
- International Poster Presentation Competition (IPPC2020) was organized by National Young Academy of Bangladesh -NYAB in association with INYAS, Thai Young Scientists Academy and Sri Lankan Academy of Young Scientists. 24 awards were given across four disciplines [(i) Life Sciences, (ii) Applied Sciences and Engineering (iii) Social Sciences and (iv) Physical Sciences] from four different countries (Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Thailand and India).
- INYAS proudly announces institution the three National Awards for the first time for the recognition of RESEARCH EXCELLENCE among PhD scholars. INYAS National Awards on annual basis will be the testimony of innovation and translational research carried out by an individual during the doctoral program in the following areas.
- Natural Nanofibers with Societal Impact
- Carbon Materials
- Excellence in Nano Innovation
Last date to apply: December 15, 2020.
For details, please visit: https://inyas.in/awards
- Panjab University in association with Chandigarh Vigyan Parishad and INYAS brought a special webinar on Science & Engineering Research Board (SERB): Organization & Objectives by Prof. Sandeep Verma, Secretary, SERB (DST, GoI) on October 29.
- INYAS announced a new initiative to highlight and popularize the Science of highest standards by Scientists from India’s Past and Present (SIPP). There will be two parts of this effort: We shall highlight on a regular basis some of the latest top quality research work by a current Indian Scientist as published in highly reputed journals through our social media platforms. Also, once in a month, we shall have online lectures by INYAS members focused on the achievements of eminent scientists from the past. To start off, the first lecture on the achievements of Prof. C. V. Raman, on his birthday 7th November was delivered by Dr. V. Ramanathan, Dept of Chemistry, IIT-BHU, Former Core Committee Member, INYAS.
- DST Rajasthan in association with INYAS presented a Webinar on World Science Day on 10th November 2020. Chair, INYAS presented his views on Best Practices in Promotion of Science in this webinar.
- INYAS and Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad is jointly organized a webinar series on “Covid 19 and its Different Dimensions”.
First talk in this series was delivered by Prof. Pankaj Seth, National Brain Research Centre, Gurugram on the topic “SARS-CoV-2 is more than a respiratory virus, its consequences on Brain” on Nov 7, 2020.
Second talk was delivered by Dr. Upasana Ray, CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, Kolkata on the topic “SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine: Where did we start and where are we heading?” on Nov 21, 2020.
Third talk in this series was delivered by Dr. Shalini Arya, ICT, Mumbai on the topic “Can we boost immunity through natural foods? ” on Nov 28, 2020.
- Indian National Science Academy, ‘women in science’ panel organised a discussion session as a part of ‘Gender Issues in Science’ session on ‘How to bridge the gender gap in STEMM?’ where INYAS members Shalini Arya and founding chair and Alumni Anindita Bhadra participated as speaker and moderator respectively.
- INYAS-Chandigarh Chapter jointly with CSIR-CSIO Chandigarh brings a new webinar series “She Inspires” for Girl Students in STEM. This webinar series will cover journey of young female scientists to get directions on handling challenges in STEM field as a role model for girl students in STEM. November 21-23, 2020.
- Dr. Chandrashekhar Sharma, Chair, INYAS addressed the 2nd Annual General Meeting of National Young Academy of Bangladesh -NYAB as a special guest and congratulated the new members from diverse background who joined NYAB.
- INYAS is sponsoring women INYAS members/alumni as well as women nominees of INYAS members for Introductory Data Science Workshop for Women in the WeVIDYA series, organised jointly Gitanjali Yadav (INYAS member) from NIPGR, New Delhi, in collaboration with the Bioinformatics Training Facility at University of Cambridge.
Before March 2020
- INYAS collaborated with DST Rajasthan and IndiaBioscience for capacity building of Science Teachers in Life Sciences, Physics and Chemistry, at the national scale, so that University and College teachers in all parts of India may interact with scientists and become acquainted with opportunities and scope in emerging areas of modern science.
- Rajendra Dhaka and Mahesh Kumar organized a science camp at Govt. Senior Secondary School, Shobhasar, Churu, Rajasthan on 27/02/2020. They first presented scientific talks focusing on sensors and rechargeable batteries and their relevance to the society to the school kids. They also showed few science demos on superconductivity, shape-memory, solar-cell, and thermoelectric materials, liquid nitrogen, water splitting, etc. An open science quiz was also organized.